The next developers milestone for Firefox 3, Alpha 2 has been released. It is important to note this release is only for web developers and the Mozilla testing community. Also important Gecko 1.9 does not support the following out-dated OS’s, Win95, Win98, WinMe, and Mac OS 10.2.
Some new feature with this release:
- Resolved remaining issues with ACID2 test compliance.
- Support for the Web Apps 1.0 API for changing stylesheets.
- XML documents can now be rendered as they’re downloaded instead of only after the full document has been loaded.
- Greatly improved Mac widgets support since Alpha 1.
- Improvements in the Cairo graphics layer.
Warning! The browser may consume excessive amounts of memory after prolonged browsing. In order to better handle memory issues, a new garbage collection system has been implemented. However, as the process of integrating Gecko into this system is still ongoing, there are some known leaks that result in large memory usage when the browser is used for a long period of time. A restart should resolve the problem, which will be fixed in Alpha 3.
News Source: Gran Paradiso Release Notes