A regular on Go Firefox! had been having some issues with Firefox 8 crashing when using Google, specifically when clicking images. After some trial error of restarting Firefox with add-ons disabled and re-enabling them one at a time (the best way to find a troublesome add-on) they determined the troublemaker was ironically OptimizeGoogle 0.79 add-on.
After a little for digging I noticed this version was release on October 26th. However, in the version history section of the AMO page I noticed a version 0.79.1 submitted for review on November 3rd. Now, last check which was on October 26th, the queue for add-on updates review was about 10-days out. So this new version may be released within the next day or so. However, after trying the new version they are still experiencing the constant crashes in Firefox 8.0.
I’m currently using Firefox 15.0.1.
Then I got lucky and tried disabling the OptimizeGoogle v 0.79.1 add-on I had installed and the problem went away — so for now I’m leaving it off.
BTW, a much quicker way to do trial-and-error is to use a binary search technique. Namely divide your add-ons into two halves, disable the first half, then test. If the problem’s still there, re-enable the first half, disable the second then test a second time. After doing this you should now know which two groups the offending add-on is in. Next step is to take that group and divide that half in half and repeat the process on each of the remaining quarter of add-ons. Eventually you should be able to get it down to just one add-on and in theory much more quickly that doing a straight linear search.